They say that your hair is your body’s most prized possession. You might ask, why? Simple. It’s a defining characteristic of you. Someone could look at your back and immediately know who you are because of your hair since it’s something special solely to you. Taking care of your hair is just as important because you only get one chance at your hair, so it’s better to use that to your full advantage.
Here are the four main types of hair that most people fall under:
- Straight Hair
- Wavy Hair
- Curly Hair
- Coily Hair
Let’s dive in to discover the proper hair care for any hair type. With this information on properly taking care of hair, you will never have any more bad hair days!
This hair type consists of soft and silky hair that tends to get oily. The hardest part of having straight hair is that it’s hard to keep it clean. When taking a shower, always try to use volumizing shampoos and conditioners to add more life to your hair.
Once you’re done taking a shower, make sure to blow-dry your hair the proper way. What’s the appropriate way you may ask? Flip your hair upside down and use a round brush to comb it while you’re drying your hair with a blow dryer. This will add more volume to your otherwise straight hair. If you want to take it a step even further, add a little dry shampoo to your hair so it can grab all the excess oil and your hair will be good as new!
Wavy hair is a mix of straight and curly hair and generally gets dry. When washing your hair, you want to use shampoos and conditioners that add moisture to your dry hair while still keeping its shape. Another way to add moisture would be to use a wet hair mask once a week to hydrate your hair.
After washing your hair, the next step would be to dry it. Many people say that the best way to dry wavy hair is to use a diffuser until 90% dry. Then, apply a little styling mousse to your hair to ensure that it won’t get frizzy after it becomes dry. The beauty of having wavy hair is that you can style it straight or curly depending on what products you use, so use it to your advantage.
My hair type! Curly hair is made up of prominent curls that get very dry and frizzy fast. The key to maintaining curly hair is to keep it as moisturized as possible. The key to keeping moisture is adding coconut oil to your hair before you shower and leave it on for about 30-45 minutes. After that, take a shower using paraben-free and sulfate-free shampoo and a tiny bit of conditioner. While you’re in the shower, make sure to run your hands through your hair and detangle all the curls.
After you wash your hair, use a cotton towel and gently pat down your hair (not too much that it’s dry but just enough, so it’s still a little wet). Once it’s damp but not too wet, I always put a little curling gel to define my curls as much as they can be. Ta-da!
Coily hair is comprised of tight curls that are very fragile. This one might be the hardest because it always varies based on your hair’s length, type, and look. But one thing that’s common between all of them is that it needs extra special care because it’s so delicate. One way to do this is to use heavy-duty conditioners and shampoos to wash your hair and make sure it retains that moisture. Deep conditioning can also help coily hair by adding vitamins and nutrients to keep the hair healthy.
Most people suggest not to use a blow dryer to dry your hair and just let it air dry because it can be susceptible to damage. Once you get to styling your hair, make sure to use moisturizing oils and hair-creams to give your hair that extra pomade.
Why Do I Even Need a Hair Care Routine?
The correct question would be why do you not need a hair care routine? Having a pattern can keep your hair healthy, soft, germ-free, less greasy, etc. Taking proper care of your hair not only can benefit your hair, but also increases your self-confidence. Hair is a pretty vital part of your body and keeping your hair well-maintained can make you very happy.
Are There Any Natural Ways To Take Care of My Hair?
Absolutely! Some of the most effective ways to take care of your hair are by using natural methods. Here are some of the best options:
- Coconut Oil: This one is my personal favorite because it does wonders for your hair! Coconut oil can make dry hair as smooth and shiny as silk, revive damaged hair strands, and lower protein loss in your hair. In addition to all of this, coconut oil can help your hair grow longer! You can use it before a shower as a pre-conditioner or after a shower as a leave-in conditioner.
- Baking Soda: Although you might think that baking soda is just used to make your teeth whiter, baking soda is a great way get rid of all the unwanted germs and buildup in your hair. Just create a thick paste with four tablespoons of baking soda and ¾ cup of water and wash it off after 3 minutes.
- Fish Oil: I hate eating fish, but when it comes to using fish oil for my hair, I’m all down. Fish oil is basically oil that comes from various fish species and is available for purchase as a liquid or in capsules. One of the most significant benefits of fish oil is that it helps prevent hair loss while also helping your body keep a healthy heart.
- Coffee: While coffee might be the one thing that gets you up in the morning, it might also be what makes you sleep at night, knowing that your hair is well taken care of. Do you get it? Basically, coffee is a fantastic way to keep your hair pampered. It upgrades dull hair to shiny and silky hair, gets rid of gray hair, and promotes hair growth. All you have to do is brew 2-3 cups of coffee, spray it on your hair while you’re washing it, and wait 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water, and voila!
- Onion Juice: It might be smelly, but onion juice has enormous benefits for your hair, such as being able to remove dandruff, reverse graying, calm an itchy scalp, moisturize dry hair, and so much more. To use, mix three teaspoons of onion juice with one teaspoon of olive oil and apply for about 20 minutes. After that, wash it off with water and a minimal amount of shampoo so that your hair still retains some of the onion juice’s properties. If it even smells like onion juice after washing your hair, mix some apple cider vinegar with water and rinse your hair with the solution after you’re done showering.
- Egg Yolks: Applying egg yolks to your hair is a great way to treat your hair with easy methods. Egg yolks can help stop hair damage, grow more hair, and give it a shiny look. In order to apply it to your hair, whisk an egg and add one teaspoon of olive oil. Apply it to your hair’s roots and keep it on for 1 hour. After that, wash it off with cold water because you don’t want an omelet cooking on your head from all the heat.